Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Tuesdays at the Table: Thanksgiving Edition

Well, since it it the week of Thanksgiving here in the States, we might as well talk about it, right?
So tell me, what are your Thanksgiving traditions? Is your family the kind that doesn't mind trying new recipes for the holiday meal, or are you strict traditionalists? 

I come from a family that is both. We grew up several hours away from any of our extended family, so most of the time it was just the five of us, and holiday meals weren't that elaborate of an affair. My mom enjoys trying new recipes, so while we knew there would be turkey, that was about the only constant at the Thanksgiving table. But if we were back in Iowa with the rest of the family, my mom always had to make Apple Dumplings. She is the oldest girl in a family of 9 kids and Apple Dumplings were my Grandpa's favorite dessert, so my mom was taught to make them at a young age. Even after my grandpa was gone, her brothers expected those dumplings. You could also count on seeing a pan of my Aunt Evelyn's Scalloped Corn on the buffet line, though I admit to usually passing that one by. 
The Pants are done
Unrelated, but this was my latest finished project at this time last year. Christmas Tree Pants!
I married into a family that resists change. Each person has a specific dish that they are expected to bring to the holiday table. My MIL makes the turkey and noodles, her sister bakes the rolls and the dressing. One pan of "normal" dressing and one of oyster dressing. Never mind that no one wants oysters in their dressing, that is how it has always been and that's how it will remain. A cousin brings a reliable corn casserole and if a certain aunt is there, a few store-bought berry pies will be on the counter. Imagine the stress I felt as a new bride when trying to determine what to bring at Thanksgiving! All of the basics were covered and I had seen in previous visits the lukewarm reception that a new dish brought. Thankfully, they were polite and a few even seemed to enjoy the Sweet Potato Casserole I shared. Though they were all a bit shocked the next year when I brought Broccoli and Rice Casserole instead. Where were the sweet potatoes??

This year, Thanksgiving will be a small affair at my house, and I intend to completely blow their minds and try a few new recipes:

And yes, my MIL will be bringing the turkey and noodles. We can't have too much change...


12 comments:

  1. aww that is so sweet !! though i can imagine your stress :)) let us know how it all the new recipes were enjoyed !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's really funny! My family tends to be pretty traditional too. This year, it's just the three of us, so we'll definitely keep it simple!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope it all goes well and doesn't cause you too much stress! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy belated Thanksgiving to you ! I imagine they all loved it : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very fun post. And I confess I used to 'shock' my in-laws too. I knew I'd succeeded when one would ask, "What IS this?" ;-) {miss them!} Anyway, sounds fun - and it must reflect the heritage - I've never heard of noodles at Thanksgiving! Like a casserole or ?? And gravy - is there any gravy at your Thanksgiving??

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha ha - Christmas lunch is stressful enough without the dress-rehearsal! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. No Thanksgiving here sadly but I sure am hungry! I love the tree skirt Toni - it's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. how fun! we're having thanksgiving alone this year... obviously-- it'll be a beach day and takeout for dinner :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was so glad when I was 16 and I stopped having to cater to my granny's Christmas food preferences, for that was the year she went to my aunt's, as my other gran has always come to us since - I hate turkey, so every year I try a new beef or venison recipe with some exotic veggies and potatoes, plus an exciting starter too if I can swing it ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah, fun with in-laws! ;) We're having a quiet Thanksgiving at home this year, just the two of us. We also like to experiment with different dishes and different spins on traditional foods so we've got some good ones planned as well. :) Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    P.S. Love your Christmas tree pants. :) I need to make some too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. lol, my husband's family is just the same as your in-laws, with everyone bringing the same dish each year. one year, my son tried his great-great-aunt's carrot cake and loved it. The next year, he was talking about it for two weeks before Thanksgiving, he was looking forward to it so much. He met her at the door that year, announcing how much he loved her carrot cake, and her face just dropped - for the first time in decades, she had made pumpkin spice cake instead! My family isn't against trying new things, but they are added to the traditional menu, no old favorites get replaced :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. haha, twin...guess what? Growing up it was only the 5 of us and so we had a relaxed Thanksgiving with some constants and some new things each year. Now we mostly follow tradition because it's kinda potluck and we all have things we're responsible for each year. BUT...that doesn't mean a few new things aren't added in. One year I decided to whip up spinach and artichoke dip to snack on before and after the meal and now I HAVE to make it every year. Also--my Mom always brings noodles. Her grandma always made them and I think only she and I eat them, but we love them.

    ReplyDelete