Wednesday, June 6, 2012

A Couple More

For this month's dGS blocks, Amanda, the leader of our Imagine circle chose these improv chevrons using the tutorial from Six White Horses. I've seen several of these blocks being made lately and think they are so interesting, but honestly wasn't looking forward to making one myself. I really like them, but they just look like they would take a long time. And they did. But I had fun making them, and if you are someone who gets to sew without too many interruptions, they shouldn't take nearly as long as they did for me.

I love the palette she chose. White, light grey, blue, yellow, and green. She wanted soft shades of these colors, which was a fun change from the brightness I'm usually drawn to. 

I was determined to get my bee blocks done early this month so I wouldn't feel guilty about making some fun things for the baby with the rest of my sewing time. I got a few fun new prints from the sale section of Bloomerie Fabrics the other day to make some little dresses and diaper covers and I can't wait to get started on them! 

And check out our first real harvest from the garden...

It isn't technically the first harvest, but it is the first produce that has made it into the house. The kids have been snacking on broccoli and radishes from the garden for a couple of weeks and I've used some of my herbs. It has been so hot and dry here that my cilantro and radishes are already bolting and the broccoli hasn't produced too much, but everything else is looking good so far.

11 comments:

  1. lovely blocks and I agree - a really nice palette. also yeah for garden produce! What herbs do you grow & use??

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bee blocks look great. I have that block bookmarked but have never tried it. I was hoping you would say that it's easier than it looks!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the design of your blocks a lot, but they do look like they probably took quite a bit of time. Thankfully they turned out gorgeous! Cute cucumbers too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blocks look great - what are those things???

    ReplyDelete
  5. The blocks turned out wonderful - thank godness with all the hard work you put into it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your chevron blocks are so pretty and spring-ey! And hooray for your first harvest of the season! I'm amazed that your kids snack on broccoli... I wish mine would do that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Snacking on broccoli right from the garden?! That sounds heavenly! And good for you for getting your "chores" done so you can enjoy some dessert sewing. There is nothing better than making something for a new little one-especially if you get to be girly for the first time:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The blocks look great, and you're right-- they are time consuming! I had my do. Good Stitches circle make them a few months ago, and I was kind of surprised at the challenge they provided, since I usually think of "improv" as being a little more freeing and easy. your produce looks great, too-- I was ready to take a crisp bite right out of those!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great block. Congrats on the first official harvest. I really like the idea of a garden but I've never been successful in the execution.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the improv chevrons - such pretty colours!

    ReplyDelete