Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Massaged Kale Salad


No, I'm not a food stylist, why do you ask??

OK, I'm going to make this short...Try this salad. 
Seriously. Yes, it sounds weird, but it doesn't taste weird.  My kids are not picky eaters, but I was pretty sure I would be pushing it a little to get them to finish their servings of this salad. Oh, was I wrong...I've made it three times now and each time my two year old has eaten two helpings.

I pinned this recipe a few weeks ago after reading Melanie rave about it.  Then, just a few days later, my friend Debbie posted about another version, so I knew it was time to try it.  The first time I made it, I basically followed Melanie's recipe. By "basically" I mean that I used the same ingredients, but I can't really be bothered by measuring things out when I'm making a salad.

Then I decided to combine Melanie's recipe with the one Debbie linked to from Food Network star Aarti Sequeira and came up with one that we love. So here's what I do:

For the dressing: Whisk together the juice of one lemon, 1/4 cup olive oil, 1 Tb honey and some black pepper.

For the salad: Trim the tough stalks from a bunch of kale, then chop into small pieces. Put the kale in a large bowl and add a generous 1/4 tsp salt. Now massage that kale!! Really, I just kind of squish it and squeeze it for about a minute or so. This is supposed to tenderize the leaves a bit so they aren't as tough. And it can be a good stress reliever.  To the kale, add some finely diced onion, apple, craisins, sunflower seeds or pepitas, and feta cheese. Toss with the dressing and you're ready to go! 

**At my house, I've found that it is easier for my kids to eat salads (and eat more of them) if everything is cut into pretty small pieces. It may not look as attractive as having pretty rings of onion and wedges of tomato, but it's much easier for little ones to maneuver to their mouths. Sometimes I even give them a spoon!

And always remember...

Available here

Check out what other Pinners are checking off their boards at Amanda's Pin-Did Challenge...

{I said I was going to make this short, but it really didn't turn out that way, did it??}


ETA:: (and make it even longer)
The aforementioned Debbie from A Quilter's Table regularly posts recipes/foodie talk on Tuesdays with her "Tuesdays at the Table" series, which she now has turned into a linky party. So hop on over there and check out her Butternut Squash Soup and see what everyone else is cooking up as well!

11 comments:

  1. That is craaaazy! My kids are leery of raw leafy greens. Maybe I should try this on them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Toni - we love this salad too & will definitely try your version! What a great post, & thanks for linking up to Tuesday at the Table!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm. Sounds yummy and totaaly `get` the small veggies in a salad! Will try this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What on Earth kind of crazy made up American thing is craisins!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh this does sound fantastic! I will certainly give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Toni, am forwarding recipe to the Mr. as he grocery shops over here. This recipe sounds fab - if it works miracles maybe My two year old will eat it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! Thanks for sharing this! I have all the ingrediants on hand so I think we will have to try this tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Toni I love Kale...I will be trying this very soon. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've heard of kale but haven't seen here in Australia, then again, I'm pretty much as bad as my kids and don't eat much vegies. But the recipe does sound quite nice though.

    ReplyDelete