Wednesday, September 28, 2011

WIP Wednesday, vol. 7

Where did this week go? 
I feel like I spent some time sewing, but it doesn't seem like there is much to show for it. 

Finish:


My little Halloween mini. More about it here.


Still in Progress:

I was really hoping to have my Across the Sea done today, but alas, my machine binding skills are crap and I spent the evening on the couch with my seam ripper. I'm not sure why, but I always feel guilty when I decide to attempt machine sewing the binding on a quilt. Like I'm cheating or something. Then I feel worse when I have to rip it out because it looks so bad. And since this is a quilt for donation, I feel even worse, like I'm trying to take the easy way out of helping someone else. I know it makes no sense, but apparently I have guilt issues... 

Anyway, hopefully I'll get the pesky binding sewn on today and have a finish for 100 Quilts for Kids.

All the Kaleidoscope blocks are trimmed and their layout finalized. I need to decide on a backing and get that started as well.

No Progress:
I have done not-a-thing on my Dead Simple quilt. In an effort to get the Across the Sea finished and out the door I have told myself that I couldn't work on this until it was done.

Only in my Head:
I would like to get two more quilts made before Christmas. One for my sister-in-law using Hometown and one for my mother-in-law, probably using the DS for JoAnn's fabrics in the blues/greens. I just need to figure out what patterns to use for each.

A big thank-you to Lee of Freshly Pieced for hosting WIP Wednesdays. I can't wait to see the new fabrics she has come up with, can you?


14 comments:

  1. Great job this week. I have to say I only know how to machine bind (although I'm sure hand binding isn't rocket science) so my ATS QAL quilt will have to live with it lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your across the sea quilt - good luck with the binding :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your Halloween mini with Mathilda Ghastlie on the back. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Binding bummer!! I haven't had very good luck doing it by machine either....hope today goes better! I'm anxious to see what you do with Hometown - did we already talk about this? I have some charm packs I'm not sure what I'll do with. AND as you know, I'm anxious to see your kaleidoscope come together!! ;-) Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Personally I feel the same way about the binding. But for my recently finished quilt I attempted a fold-over binding by machine and am glad I did. While I usually love curling up with a newly quilted quilt to hand bind it...well, it takes a gosh long time doesn't it? It was satisifying to be able to sit down and whooosh...done. I have other things I want to get back to so I am trying not to feel the guilt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't help but love your quilts and the colors you selected... The Cross quilt is simply wonderful and the Kaleidoscope looks very promising.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I completely love that witch mug rug! Halloween is NOT my holiday by any means, but thats so stinking cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Doing good - machine binding - sacrilege!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know what you mean about the machine binding. I really want to be good at it, but it looks so much better when I sew it by hand, and I love doing it. It just takes forever!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That Halloween mini is ADORABLE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the pictures on the grass. I applaud you doing one thing at a time - they're looking good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The rainbow border on your across the sea quilt is just fabulous! It really sets off the blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. oooh, you're doing a kaleidoquilt too! I'm excited to see yours, I love your fabric choices. me = new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your mini's I wouldn't want to cover them either. Great job fixing the 'snip', it blends right in!

    ReplyDelete